To properly title this recipe blog I looked up the difference between yam, sweet potato, Japanese garnet, Jewel sweet potato (or yam), and yea… I ended up more confused than when I began. Call it what you will, but for now they are referred to as “Sweet Jewel Potato”. As you see by the photos, they have a lovely, deep orange color. Lots of carotene for maintaining strong vision!
This recipe can made with any ingredients according to your diet preference. Certainly there are vegan options available for the yogurt, butter and cheese. Chives are super easy to grow in a container or outdoors, and they add nice flavor. The original recipe was found on Organize Yourself Skinny, but I have modified it to be vegetarian (or vegan).
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
3 good sized sweet jewel potatoes
2-3 Tbl Earth Balance butter
1/2 cup plain yogurt
4 tsp chives (fresh)
4 Field Roast breakfast links
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt, or add to taste after cooked
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Using a fork poke holes along the top of each potato three times. Lay a piece of parchment paper on your cookie sheet and place the potatoes on top. Place them on the middle shelf of a pre-heated oven. Set timer for 1 hour 15 mins.
- About 40 mins into baking (or when you see the skins getting darker, pull them out. Use an oven mitt to pick each one up and loosely wrap foil around them to prevent skins from over-cooking; return them to oven to finish baking.
- Crumble the breakfast links into a lightly oiled fry pan and sauteé till slightly crisp.
- Combine in a bowl: butter, yogurt, chives, salt (opt), breakfast link crumbles, and cheese, set aside.
- When potatoes are fully cooked, pull them out and let them cool on a heat-safe surface.
- Slice their tops off with a serrated knife.
- Scoop out their contents into the bowl of ingredients you made earlier and mix well. As you see in the photo I used a grapefruit spoon for scraping out the contents, but a fork or regular spoon will do.
- Restuff the tops and bottoms of the jewels.
- Reduce oven heat to 350.
- Return them to oven and bake another 30 mins.
- Remove from oven. EAT AND ENJOY!
Thank you for checking out my blog. If you found today’s recipe tasty and helpful and you wish to make a heartfelt gift, please visit: https://reginachante.org/donate/